Search This Blog

Saturday 4 December 2010

Bimbo the Fawn Lives!


I have finished making Bimbo the Woodland Fawn from one of my 1950's copies of Needlework Illustrated. I'm quite fond of him now although he was very fiddly to make and I think the original looks rather rounder... Still he's got that fifties vibe I think... I've made him rather more Christmassy than the original too. 
I think I'll enlarge the pattern and make some more - I was thinking that a little family in vintage fabrics might be the thing...

Mrs Vintage has been cracking the whip this week so I have also made some cushion covers using vintage damask tablecloths and doilies.

I'm so pleased to have found a way to put the doilies to good use. I always admire the workmanship on them but could never think of a way of transforming them into something for my house - until now! They look lovely with all the textures working together.



I have also been combining vintage hand embroidered tray and tablecloths that were marked or torn. I started this one with the intention of turning it into a cushion cover but as I was finishing it I thought it might make a centre for a quilt or throw instead. Whichever way it goes it will appear in the Handmade section of the shop.

Once I finish this I've got two sacks of cherry stones to decant into the calico bags that form the basis of my thermal pillows. There's 10 kilos worth - that's a lot of cherry eating - although not by me I would like to add. They are all professionally cleaned and dried.  They are brilliant though - not only do they retain the heat and keep you cosy like a hot water bottle, but you can add essential oils to them and throw them in the washing machine to refresh them. A perfect gift surely!

No comments: